Tuesday, October 19, 2010

An American Diner

The Depot American Diner


My husband and I went to check out The Depot with one of our friends (who also is a foodie). We set out early for lunch as we have heard that they do run out of things during the course of a day. There was no way I was going to be happy if I went there for the Open Face Turkey Sandwich they featured on DDD and was not able to try it!    www.depotamericandiner.com



This really took  me back to my childhood. I am a mashed potato fiend! When ever we went out to a diner type place like Colonial Cafe or Denny's I would always get an Open Faced Turkey Sandwich. The turkey was very tender and the gravy was awesome! The mashed potatoes were good, they had lumps in them (I know some people like that, so you know they are homemade) but I am very mashed potato picky and firmly believe my husband and Mother-in-Law make the best ever. I will keep looking though, just in case they're out there somewhere. By the way, did I mention the gravy, it was outstanding!

My husband and friend had the Pot roast Sandwich: Pot roast covered in gravy topped with homemade fried onions on a great soft bun. The bun held up to the gravy perfectly. The sandwich came with fries covered in gravy. That gravy was also delicious!


We all had an Egg Cream to drink. The definition an egg cream is: "a beverage consisting of chocolate syrup, milk, and soda water, probably dating from the late 19th century, and is especially associated with Brooklyn, home of its alleged inventor, candy store owner Louis Auster. It contains neither eggs nor cream". Though this is the definition The Depot says their egg creams are made with heavy cream. It was very interesting, similar to a chocolate soda.

For dessert we shared an order of Donuts Mocha, that were on the house. They are actually donut holes covered in cinnamon, sugar  served with a mocha dipping sauce topped with whipped cream. They are are excellent! I do not care for coffee flavored things and this was not overwhelmingly coffee, but very, very good.


This trip was to a very small diner serving very good American Diner food, how fun is that?!

No comments:

Post a Comment